Sunday, March 3, 2013

Just an update. Nothin' special!

Some weeks, it feels like a victory to make it to the weekend; this week was no exception.

I met my parents for dinner Friday night since they were nearby helping my sister move, and my dad remarked, for the second time, "It's amazing that you have a full-time job during grad school." Now, hypothetically, I'm not supposed to, but when you add up the hours, I do. My assistantship takes care of tuition and room/board, so I feel like I can't complain. But sometimes I want to, because it's just so darn exhausting. Full time grad course-load, 20/hrs assistantship (in reality many, many more), 10/hrs practicum per week...plus homework...sigh.

I know it's worth it, and I know that the work I do is worth it..but the exhaustion is exhausting. 

Thank goodness Spring Break is less than 2 weeks away, and, though I work an "adult" schedule, I am lucky to be in an assistantship that allows me to take advantage of the student schedule. I'll be happily hanging out with family on the California Coast. Commence countdown to bliss!

A week ago, my week blended right into my weekend and kicked off into a full week with no breaks due to interviews for candidates interested in the program that I'm currently enrolled in, interviewing for a new staff of resident assistants, interviewing for learning community resident assistants and Asian Nite (the only non-interview component). Asian Nite is a cultural talent show put on through the Asian American Cultural Center.

My apartment-mate and I hosted two hopeful candidates for our grad program last weekend, and it was hard to ignore my 1-year ago thought process. I was concerned that I wouldn't get the opportunity to be in a grad program...and I not only ended up with choices, I ended up where I wanted to go. Looking back, that's a whole conversation in there about privilege.

So many of my cohort-mates were describing how surreal it was to be here, now, on the other side of the process: hosting candidates instead of being candidates, shuttling candidates to the airport instead of being shuttled, serving as the interviewer instead of the interviewee. As for me, I'm just relieved! There was a level of excitement and feeling like the world was waiting at my feet as offers for graduate school became real, but the process was grueling. I'm more than happy to put it behind me! Whew.

Maybe I'll be more articulate and descriptive next time, but for now, I'm off to attempt to put a dent in my reading for Law & Ethics class...



No comments:

Post a Comment