Monday, February 18, 2013

Musical Metaphor

"Our understanding is woven into the fabric of our experience. Our understanding is our way of being in and making sense of our experience." - Johnson & Larson

I came across this quote about a year ago, in an article called "The Way She Moves" written by two musicologists examining how musical metaphors shape our understanding of music. It seemed particularly pertinent to my entry entitled "Words and Worth."

When I (re)read articles like this, I seem to miss the musical world at an exponential rate...probably thoughts for a future post about musical identity, particularly within the context of my current lifestyle and graduate program. Hmm...


Here's a link to a .pdf file of the article. It's lengthy and you don't need to read it in order to appreciate the quote, but in case you're curious...just food for thought. 

The Way She Moves PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment